Below is a small selection of some of the many and varied commissions I've worked on over the years.
I've thoroughly enjoyed working on each and every one. Please contact me if you would like to discuss a commission.
Restoration of Altar Cloth
This is the 'before' image of a frontal from Croscombe Church in Somerset. I reattached the Jap gold threads which adorned the length of the frontal, also reattaching the fringing where it was coming away.
Embroidered Christmas Card
I was commissioned to design and embroider a Christmas picture by Lenham Needlecraft when under the ownership of Pam Wolstenholme, for it to be used as the design for their 2016 Christmas cards, sent to all customers and suppliers. Techniques included applique, surface embroidery, stumpwork and goldwork.
Coolie Crewelwork Lampshade
A commission involving a slightly different take on my usual embroidered lampshade. This one was required to be in the coolie shape, and as it was wider and higher than previous shades, I adapted the design to fit the space.
Handmade Goldwork Book
Really a commission for myself! I wanted a different way of displaying my finished embroideries and felt this book would be an excellent medium. I made the book from scratch following an excellent tutorial from Somerset Stitch. I used my Goldwork Leaves kit as the feature and filled it with beautiful handmade cotton rag paper.
A very small commission, but still time consuming to work. Once worked, using one strand of cotton and stem and detached chain stitches, I then made them up into cufflinks using sterling silver fitments.
Purple Altar Frontal
A third altar frontal from Croscombe Church in Somerset. This required the original gold twist outlines to be reattached around the lettering, as well as reworking previous repairs where the rows of twist had overlapped.
White Altar Frontal
The damask fabric was very worn on this frontal from Croscombe Church, with several large frayed areas. I supported these damaged areas using conservation net and thus prevented further wear. The conservation net can be dyed to match the fabric, but that wasn't necessary in this case.
I was commissioned to design and embroider part of a church banner. The brief was for three leaping fish on a red background.
My client's finished crewelwork had several puckers. I was asked to make it up into a cushion and to pad it sufficiently so that all puckers in the fabric were removed. I chose a complementary fabric for the back and made a cord to go around the cushion.
Canvas Work & Silk Thread Footstool
This footstool was a French flea market find for my client. It measured 1m in diameter and was 60cm high. Large areas of the silk stitches had worn away from the top and the sides, the canvas was filthy and coming away from the base. I thoroughly cleaned the canvas, matched the silk colour and reworked the stitches. I then remounted the canvaswork over the original springs and horsehair padding, before applying a new cord and braid to cover the edging.
The Maltese Dog Club needed a cloth for displaying their trophies which included all the individual names used by the breeders. I worked the club name in applique with a couched edge, with all the names being worked in satin stitch.
Monsoon Embroidered Coats
Monsoon approached me to embroider little baskets of flowers on grey flannel for a limited run of children's coats. The flowers were worked in wool using French knots, bullion knots, detached chain and stem stitch.
A much loved toy, who bore the marks of this love! Piglet needed a good clean, and was given tidier dungarees, a smart bow tie and new ears.
This sampler required gentle cleaning and some minor top darning repair work on a support fabric, before being mounted ready for framing.
Red Crewelwork Lampshades
A pair of matching drum lampshades embroidered in crewelwork in a custom colour of pillar box red with dark blue highlights.
An embroidered shawl worked as part of the Lady's Magazine Stitch Off event, bringing together embroiderers across the world, and featured in Chawton House's 'Emma at 200' exhibition celebrating Jane Austen.
Three blackwork cuffs were designed and embroidered onto linen using black silk thread to be used as props for an upcoming historical TV drama.